Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt: Hardcover, Paperback or E-reader?





So with the closing of a large chain of bookstores, it got me thinking about all the different ways to find our books today.  There is, of course, the library.  Those of you who know me well know that I have a fear of used books, so I don't venture to the library too often...in fact, never.  There is the hardcover version of the books we read.  The fairest of them all.  Beautiful covers with fold out tabs to read.  The weight of the words literally resting on you as you read.  However, not too convenient to pack into the suitcase space we need for that last pair of shoes.  Then we have the paperback.  Again you get the feel of the pages as you turn them.  Another pretty cover- let's face it, if the book has a shiny cover with pretty pictures we are more likely to pick them up.  I often cave and buy the hardcover of a book because, unfortunately, you have to wait a bit longer for this version.  And the newest versions, the e-reader.  This is my current choice.  I received a Kindle for my birthday almost a year ago.  It was difficult for me to give up the actual feel of the book, and I still miss the ritual of placing the book on my shelves when I am finished reading.  However, how easy is it?  A small tablet that actually fits in my purse.  If I am finished reading my book while on a trip, just download another!

So now I ask you...how do you read your books today?

1 comment:

  1. I love the feel of books so I haven't caved in yet to the Kindle world. However, I am constantly in the library because if I bought all of the books that I read I would be broke. Then how would I buy my shoes??? I do by the books for the book clubs that I am in. I like to date them and write comments that the group has in them.

    ReplyDelete